Search This Blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Response to A.C. Grayling - What's Next For Atheism?

The Atheist Alliance International video featuring A.C. Grayling is found here.


I don't understand why there has to be a 'next' thing for Atheism. Are we proselytizing? 

One of the things I find comforting about my Atheism is its constancy, its adamant, unyielding strength. I see no need for a 'next'. Let the religious find a 'next', since they have to constantly change their message to appeal to new believers. If they had constancy, which they don't, they wouldn't need to proselytize. 

I wish more thought about atheism as I do. But I want people to get there on their own, just as I did. 

After a childhood as a Jehovah's Witness, I spent my later teen years searching for Jesus. I found him. He was a man, I'm certain of that. But so was Jim Jones, David Koresh, Buddha, Muhammad, the Bagwan Shree Rajneesh, and Warren Jeffs. 

My unwavering belief in atheism is grounded in my search, my journey of self, that requires you to look long and hard inside yourself to discover whether you really believe what you claim to believe, or whether you believe what someone you admire believes simply because they believe it and you admire them. 

I came to this juncture in my life by many hard, lonely roads. That's how I want others to come to it, too. Once found this way, it's a faith immovable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment